L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc has just completed another great job in finishing your prized furniture. The final appearance is now a perfect combination of charm and elegance. Your newly finished furniture looks better than new! You can’t be more pleased with the work and the excitement of having your furniture gleaming is hardly containable. Now, how to keep that newly finished furniture looking dazzling?
L.W. Winslow Painting would like to offer a few tips for cleaning, maintenance and care or your wood furniture finishes. Doing so will the extend the life of your furniture finish and will continue to shine for years to come!
Different finishes require different care. All wood, however, needs the following treatment.
• Dust with the grain. Over time, this will preserve the original and unique patterns.
• Micro-fiber cloths are designed to collect and hold on to the dust, but if not available, a clean, soft cloth will suffice. Just know, these ordinary clothes often push dust around, as opposed to removing it.
• Excessive furniture polish can contribute to residue build up that dulls the wood. Furniture polish is still a good maintenance tool, just use the polish when it’s needed. Some folks love the polish smell, if you are just polishing for added air freshness, invest in air-fresheners as opposed to over polishing.
Types of finishes
– Paint Finish – Easily cleaned with mild detergents and a soft, clean cloth. Follow up with a dry cloth to ensure surface is dry.
– Stained Finish – Clean stained surfaces with a well rung, damp cloth. Only when necessary, treat as you would unsealed finish.
– Unsealed Finish – With a mild detergent or water and dish soap mixture, apply liquid directly onto cloth sparingly. Do not put liquids directly on the wood. Promptly dry with a secondary clean, dry cloth. Never leave the furniture wet or even damp.
– Varnish Finish– Damp dust, and avoid excess moisture. Clean stains with a watered down dish soap solution, never directly spraying the surface. Polish with the polish implemented onto the cloth, and commence polishing. Never spray directly onto surface area.
– Veneer Finish – Clean with care and caution. The thin top layer of wood may or may not be coated with varnish. If a thin layer of varnish is present, water could easily bubble. If unsealed, damp-dust only. If coating is present, only when necessary, use the dish soap water solution with fine, gently mists, again, applied directly the cloth. Dry with haste.
– Wax Finish – Detergent dulls wax and compromises integrity. Soap flakes should be used, and only if necessary. Once again, prepare in a container. Dip cloth lightly, gently clean the mess, and swiftly dry.
Professional Wood Furniture Refinishing in Amagansett, East Hampton, Southampton, Wainscott, Bridgehampton, Montauk, Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, Watermill, Westhampton & The Hamptons New York
L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc is pleased to offer high quality residential and commercial custom shop wood finishes. We offer expert cabinetry furniture and cabinet finishing and refinishing including custom sprayed shop finishes, patina and metal finishes as well as priming and complete pre-finishing of windows, doors and trim for new construction assignments. Taking care and properly treating your recently refinished furniture, will extend the finish for years. If you have any concerns or questions, L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc can give you a satisfying consultation on any of our many quality services. Contact us today to talk about your next project.