Have you found yourself with an old piece of furniture that needs face lift? Whether it’s from an estate sale, you inherited it, or found it on the side of the road, you may find yourself with a piece of old wooden furniture that needs a little pick me up. There are two different ways you can refresh the look of your old furniture. L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc is here to talk about whether you should paint or refinish your furniture.
Benefits of Painting Wooden Furniture
• Repairing damage to the wood. If the scratches and scrapes are deeper than the finish on your piece, painting it might be a good option for you.
• If the piece is not of high value and it will look better with the décor in your home, it’s a great way to add a pop of color.
• Sometimes painting a piece can actually add value. If the damage to the wood is not able to be repaired painting can help revive the piece.
Benefits of Refinishing Wooden Furniture
• Is the furniture still in good shape? If it is sturdy, refinishing can help bring it back to life.
• If the piece has sentimental value to you and you need it to remain as close to its original look as possible, you should have it refinished. The piece can be updated but still look like it always has.
• If it only has surface damage and the scratches don’t go past the finish, refinish. It is almost impossible to keep an older piece of furniture free from scratches and dings, but hopefully they are only on the surface and not a deep scratch into the wood.
• Sometimes the details of old furniture can get lost when you paint rather than refinish. If there is any inlaid wood or small details you don’t want lost, refinishing is probably the way to go.
• If you are dealing with a valuable antique, it is best to get it evaluated and make sure refinishing will not devalue the piece. Sometimes refinishing can add value and be a great idea.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional for Painting & Refinishing
Many old wooden pieces of furniture are very intricate. Trying to strip off the old finish can be very hard and time intensive. Trying to paint all the small cracks and crevices of an intricate piece of wood is almost impossible without the proper tools. By hiring a professional, you know they have the correct tools and skills needed to do the job right without causing any damage to the piece. Another thing to consider is the material that your furniture is made of. Sometimes when the finish is removed, you might be dealing with multiple types of wood. This can complicate the process of refinishing old wood.
Painting & Refinishing Wooden Furniture & Cabinets in Amagansett, East Hampton, Southampton, Wainscott, Bridgehampton, Montauk, Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, Watermill, Westhampton & The Hamptons New York
When refinishing furniture, if you don’t know what you are doing, not only can it cost you a lot of time, but it will show in the finished product. To get the most out of your old furniture and refresh its look, call L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc today for amazing painting and refinishing results.