If you are lucky enough to have a deck attached to your home, you know how many endless hours you can enjoy on it. A deck is the perfect place to entertain guests and enjoy the slow summer nights we get in The Hamptons. Part of having a deck comes with a certain amount of maintenance that is essential. L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc is here to talk about why it is so important, and what can happen when you don’t do it.
Why You Need to Clean & Maintain Your Wood Deck
There are several reasons why it is important that you maintain your deck:
- Property Value: Your deck is an actual extension to your home. When you have maintained it properly, it will add curb appeal to your home as well as help to increase property value.
- Health & Safety: When you don’t take care of your deck, it can start to grow algae and even mold. Algae is the green growth that starts to form. If it’s left there, it can be extremely slippery. Mold can cause a load of health problems as well.
- Deck Lifespan: If you aren’t taking proper care of your deck, you won’t get nearly as many years out of it. The wood will literally start to rot away if you don’t take care of it.
Rotting Decking & Other Problems with a Neglected Deck
If you aren’t taking care of your deck, you are bound to run into several problems. Even when you are maintaining your deck properly, you should be constantly looking for the issues listed below so repairs can be made as needed.
- Rotting Wood: Weather can do a number on your deck if it isn’t protected by a sealer. Wood that has been exposed to constant moisture will eventually start to rot away.
- Railing: Over time, the screws and nails that hold up your railing will get loose. Most of the time, deck railings can handle a person leaning against them, but they shouldn’t be climbed on or sat on because they can’t support it. If you notice yours is getting wobbly, it’s time for some repairs.
- Mold/Mildew on Deck: Like mentioned above, mold and mildew can make the surface slippery, but it can also eat away at the wood.
- Rusted Fasteners: The metals parts that hold your deck together are called fasteners. You should be checking them for any rust. If rust is present, you need to make some repairs to keep it structurally sound.
- Deck Cracks: You should be looking for cracks that will likely happen over time. With proper maintenance, you aren’t as likely to find cracks early on, but rather, as your deck gets older. Replace any boards that have large cracks.
Deck Staining & Sealing in Amagansett, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Hampton Bays, Montauk, North Haven, North Sea, Noyack, Quogue, Shelter Island, Sag Harbor, Sagaponack, Shinnecock Hills, Southampton, Springs, Wainscott, Watermill, Westhampton, Westhampton Beach, New York
If it has been a while since you have performed any maintenance on your deck, you can rely on the experts at L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc to ensure it is ready for the weather. We will stain and seal your deck so it has the protection it needs. Call us today!