When it comes to refinishing wood, the mistakes that are often made are fairly easy to prevent. These mistakes happen by jumping into it too quickly and not getting a good idea of what is needed regarding time, material and the correct steps to take for the best results. Take some time before you start by getting a vision of the finished project and figuring out the steps that need to be taken. Being impatient and racing to get it done will set you back.
Don’ts when Stripping & Refinishing Wood Furniture
1. Ignoring safety precautions when stripping and refinishing wood furniture. It is very important to follow safety precautions. You have to protect your skin and your eyes and wear gloves when using paint strippers and refinishing products. You must also make sure there aren’t any open flames in the work area and make sure there is ample ventilation.
2. Not following instructions on paints, varnishes, strippers and waxes. Always read the instructions on all paints, varnishes, strippers and waxes. These substances have chemical makeups that vary, and it can be dangerous if used incorrectly. If your health suffers all the hard work will mean nothing.
3. Failing to clean the wooden surfaces before refinishing. The surface must be cleaned thoroughly. You may find that all the piece needs is retouching rather than a complete refinishing. Use a wood cleaner or wax remover to see how much refinishing you’ll have to do, if any.
4. Not stripping wood furniture completely. If you decide the piece needs to be stripped, it will have to be done correctly. You must remove all the old finish or paint completely. If not, you’ll have uneven results. Use enough stripper to keep the surface wet and don’t work in direct sunlight or it may dry the wood.
5. Not waiting long enough or too long between refinishing steps. You need to make sure you wait long enough, or you will have to scrape the wood to get the finish off. Check to see if the stripper is working and leave it longer if needed. Waiting too long. On the other hand, if you leave it on too long, the paint can get hard again. Time it right so you can still remove the paint while it is still soft.
7. Neglecting repairs. After you have completed the stripping process make sure you do all necessary repairs to ensure a better finish.
8. Improper sanding of wood furniture. Sanding is next is the next step and needs to be done before you apply stain. If not, the new finish may not adhere to the surface. Sanding is essential for a smoother finish. Just make sure you use the right grit of sandpaper for the project.
9. Applying paint too thick. If you apply too thick a coat, you will create an uneven and unattractive finish. Apply one coat and wait for it to dry completely before applying the next. Look for the proper wait times for the product you’ve chosen on the container.
Wood Refinishing Services & More in Amagansett, Bridgehampton, Eats Hampton, Hampton Bays, Montauk, North Haven, North Sea, Noyack, Quogue, Shelter Island, Sag Harbor, Sagaponack, Shinnecock Hills, Southampton, Springs, Wainscott, Watermill, Westhampton, West Hampton Beach, New York
A wood refinishing project can be fun. If you take the right steps and take your time you can have a real sense of accomplishment in the results. If you don’t have the time to do it right, you don’t have the ability or just don’t want to attempt it; contact L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc. to do it. Give us a call today!